This is the mail archive of the email@example.com
mailing list for the Cygwin project. See the Cygwin
home page for more information.
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
[Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Re: licensing NOT clear for me
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: licensing NOT clear for me
- From: DJ Delorie <email@example.com>
- Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 10:29:24 -0500
- CC: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivered-To: email@example.com
- Delivered-To: mailing list firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-reply-to: <36F24D87.2843A0C3@hotmail.com> (message from John Mullee on Fri,19 Mar 1999 14:13:43 +0100)
- Mailing-List: contact email@example.com; run by ezmlm
- References: <36F12160.87AE0FC0@bigfoot.com> <36F24D87.2843A0C3@hotmail.com>
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
> - if you distribute on cdrom, include the cywin sources (no problem,
cygwin *and* your program's sources, but right - no problem if you
include all the sources on the cdrom.
> - if you distribute on floppy, include the cywin sources (aargh!)
That's a lot of floppies.
> - if you distribute via http/ftp, place the cygwin sources on the
> same site permitting users who _chose_ to do so to get the relevant
Yes, but again, both cygwin's sources and the sources to your
> You could make it awkward by splitting the files into 1MB lumps and use
> some strange compression-format, if you wanted to discourage unnecessary
zipsplit does this for you. Note that purposefully obfuscating the
sources or complicating the download violates the GPL.
> You _don't_ have to wrap _all_ the sources up in the same
> archive. They can be separately-downloadable files.
Yes, but they all must be *available*. Breaking up the sources and
the binaries is actually a good idea.
> I'm not aware of any separate source archive which produces _only_
> the dll and not the tools; such an archive, if you created it, would
> both fulfil GPL requirements and be easier to fit on some floppies.
> FWIW, the cdk/src/winsup directory - i.e. the sources for the cygwin
> dll - zip into about 700 kb. (one floppy disk!)
You'd need winsup, newlib, libiberty, and toplevel. It tar.gz's to
Want to unsubscribe from this list?
Send a message to email@example.com