Re: problem building egcs-1.1.2

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Charles Gauthier wrote:

> The default target for egcs-1.1.2 under cygwin is i686-pc-cygwin32. I duplicated
> the /usr/local/i586-cygwin32 directory as /usr/local/i686-pc-cygwin32. I then
> created a separate build directory, cd'ed into it, and did:
>
> ../egcs-1.1.2/configure --with-local-prefix=/usr/local/i686-pc-cygwin32
> make bootstrap
> make install

You should use i586-cygwin32 as the target name if you want -mno-cygwin
to work. Then again, since you duplicate the header tree, you should be
fine.

 ../egcs-1.1.2/configure [option] i586-cygwin32

> I am now running the regression test suite. I took me a while to figure out why
> all execution tests fail under cygwin. There is a problem in the expect
> interpreter: it does not understand Unix-style absolute path names (e.g.
> /home/gauthier/build-egcs/gcc/testsuite/900409-1.x0). I had to modify the
> generated site.exp file to use either relative pathnames, or add leading drive
> letters to the pathnames (I have D: mounted as /home, so I specify paths as
> D:/gauthier/build-egcs/...).
>
> The dejagnu framework appears to be very unstable under cygwin. During execute
> tests, I appear to get SEGV signals at random. I just don't trust the test
> results; every test passes until a SEGV stops the testing of a given suite.
>
> Also, I gave up on the initial tests in /build-egcs/i686-pc-cygwin32/libio/dbz.
> Too many problems...

I've never been successful in getting Cygwin Expect to reliably run the
testsuite; I have a rather hacked dejagnu setup with Expect/NT (Gordon
Chaffee's distribution) that works quite well. For the testsuite results
for Cygwin and Mingw targets, see http://egcs.cygnus.com/ml/testsresults/.

Regards,
Mumit