setbuf() problem

the following simple program coredumps under B20.1:

#include <stdio.h>

main(int argc, char **argv[])

  FILE *logfile;
  logfile=fopen((const char *)argv[1],"a");
  setbuf(logfile, (char *)NULL);

The problem appears to be a combination of "a" and setbuf().
If I use "w" instead of "a", or I don't use setbuf(), it works
fine.  Is it a bug?  CygWin limitation? Windows NT limitation?