RE: does bash provide scrolling ?

I am not sure about W98, but in NT 4.0 I open the command shell properties
dialog, go to the Layout tab and set the buffer size to 10 times the window
height.  This gives me vertical scroll bars and the ability to look at the
last 10 screens.  The maximum buffer size seems to be 9999.

Regards,
David