XVRT is always stdin, not a terminal? Help?

Hi,

I'm new to cygwin (BTW, Cygnus, you've done a fantastic job; I thought I'd
try Cygwin before shelling over the bucks for an MKS upgrade... and am happy
I did) but getting comfortable with it.

I'm having some trouble with the whole TTY and binary/text mode thing,
though.

It is probably most easily exemplified by this problem:

I downloaded XVRT (I want a window with scrollback capability). Works great,
but every time I start it up, it claims to be using stdin (not full terminal
functionality). This is how I start XVRT:

~% alias xvt='/usr/bin/rxvt-2.6PRE2-w32v/rxvt.exe -sl 2000 -tn
cygwin -rv -st -sr -ls -fn "Lucida Console-11" -geometry 80x50 -e
bash.exe -login'

I've tried a number of variations on this method. Basically, if I enter bash
with CYGWIN=tty, I can't use emacs (it claims I'm using stdin). If I enter
bash with CYGWIN unset, emacs works. In all cases, though, XVRT seems to be
a stdin terminal (i.e.: not smart enough for emacs). I've tried using
CYGWIN=tty binary too, but that was a mess.

Basically, I'm after starting up an X-like terminal that is emacs-capable.
If anyone can help me get there, I'd be very grateful.

Also, if anyone has a pointer to an implementation of vi that works nicely
with cygwin, I'd love to know about it. ;-)

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Zacharias J. Beckman - zbeckman@creativesun.com - int'l 591-3-579778