Re: sshd1 v1.2.26, b20.1, tty problems (most likely)

I remember a problem like this from comp.security.ssh.  I believe that it
had to do with the daemon configuration.  The idle timeout was set to 1
second; a tad on the short side personally.  The sshd_config is in /etc on
my box.  I don't run sshd here since the firewall won't allow me to
connect from home, and I haven't taken the time to figure out the port
forwarding stuff.

Steve Coleman wrote:

> Juha Jdykkd wrote:
>
> >   No help. Nothing changes. sshd1 still receives TTY -1, ls complains
> > about bad file number and something causes a logout from my newly
> > created shell immediately.
>
> I may have had the same problem, though my memory about it may be a
> little fuzzy now. To diagnose the problem I set my STRACE to 0x10 and
> started the daemon with -d in one window while I tried to login from
> another. The strace output reveiled that the xauth add host/unix:0
> syntax was failing which caused subsequent tty and shell problems (I
> don't remember these problems specifically), and eventually causing my
> daemon and shell (both bash and tcsh) to abort. I commented out the
> following block of code from sshd.c and I was back in business.
>
> #ifndef CRAY
>                         /* Cray xauth cannot take host/unix:0 as
> displayname *
>                         fprintf(f, "add %.*s/unix%s %s %s\n",
>                                 cp - display, display, cp, auth_proto,
>                                 auth_data); */
> #endif
>
> Try using the STRACE flag to verify a similar xauth failure. If this is
> the source of your problem then perhaps we should add this to the sshd.c
> patch list. It may however be a system dependent patch based on your
> X-Windows implementation.
>
> FYI - I am using Exceed V6.1 for my X server.
>
> Good luck!
>
> --
> Steve Coleman     <Steve.Coleman@jhuapl.edu>   http://www.jhuapl.edu/
> <<--------->> Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory <<---------->>
> Balt:443-778-6330 Fax:443-778-5597 Wash:240-228-6330 Fax:240-228-5597
>
> --

Grant Mills                        RD Instruments
Firmware Engineer                  9855 Businesspark Ave.
gmills@rdinstruments.com           San Diego, CA 92131-1101
Phone (619) 689-8682 x3173         Phone (619) 693-1178
                                   Fax (619) 695-1459

    If you bought our course, "How to Fly Solo in Six
    Easy Lessons," we apologize for any inconvenience
    caused by our failure to include the last chapter,
    "How to Land your Plane Safely."  Send us your name
    and address and we will send you the last chapter
    posthaste.  Requests by estates also honored.
        correction in 1973 issue in "World Magazine"