Re: bash history not restored

--- Ian Zimmerman <itz@lbin.com> wrote:
> So, HOW do I make history work AND have text opens/fopens by default?
> Is this a lose/lose situation?  After all, text mount is still the
> default behavior, so this would make history not work out of the box.
> (I can't test that because my setup has gotten too far outside the box.
> :)
>
> Text mount is absolutely necessary for me; without it, I can't use Emacs
> (or any other Cygwin program) to handle non-Cygwin originated files.

This is a bug in the readline/history libraries used by bash.  I haven't
tracked them down as yet.  I hope to get some time this week to take a look at
it.  The data is saved but with extra ^M's.  It appears that there is a ^M on
each line for each time the history file is written to.  So when `exit' is
written it is written as `exit^M'. The next time the history is saved the
previous `exit^M' becomes `exit^M^M'.  The routines must error on the ^M if
binmode isn't set in the CYGWIN variable.

I've found that if I have binmode set and remove any existing ~/.bash_history
file that the ^M's aren't written to the file.  Therefore, as a workaround
until the problem can be fixed, set the binmode switch in the CYGWIN
environment variable.  This is supposed to be the default and I don't have a
clue as to why specifying the switch vs not specifying the switch makes a
difference but it does.
===
"Earnie Boyd" <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>
CYGWIN RELATED HELP: