Staticly linking cygwin1.dll to exe?

List..

  Is it possible to staticly link cygwin1.dll into an exe compiled with gcc?
I notice that I'm actually using very little of the code in cygwin1.dll in my
program, and the dll is quite large.  It seems unnecessary to carry around
that huge runtime library for such a small application.  Is there any way at
all (however tedious) that I can statically link the code from the cygwin
library into my executable so it can be entirely standalone?

Aaron W. LaFramboise