Re: various 'cywin1.dll' tested with PERL's 'Configure' script.

Glenn Spell wrote:

> The following may not be of any help for the perl configure problem.
> I'm writing only about the ash heredoc problem.
>
> On Jun 03 1999 at 07:21AM +0000, Samy Alex ZAIMI wrote:
>
> > Since I received no answers, I had to dig a bit. I found out that
> > one of the problems is related to the way (a)sh.exe handles so
> > called 'here documents'.  The version of 'sh.exe' I have is dated
> > [...] May be it is too old, is there a new ash arround ?
>
> The ash distributed with Cygwin is from Debian Linux with some local
> changes by Cygnus. Last year I looked around but did not find a
> better alternative. I incorporated some Debian patches while working
> on the infamous "Win95 'make' bug" but it didn't seem to help.
>
> > Lately, Glenn Spell posted (1999/05/03/13:02:39, Heredocs with ash
> > on Win95) that such problems disappeared when he used the 19990502
> > cygwin1.dll.  Well, he didn't receive many answers either (or he
> > did but it was privately).

Why do we need ash anyway - what's the trouble with using just bash as
sh?  I tried using ash several times on my Linux boot floppies to save
space, but I always concluded it wasn't worth the trouble, bash is just
so much better even for noninteractive use.  Instead I saved space by
not including any executables that had a corresponding bash built-in,
and rewriting several others as scripts.

--
Ian Zimmerman
Lightbinders, Inc.