Re: MFC VC++ mail list? (no spam intended)

David Young <dyoung@vviuh221.vvi.com> writes:

> cygwin is great. However, I also need to do MFC and VC++.
> Does anyone know of a mail list to ask questions for that technology?

I'm sure Microsoft provides many different forums for this. Look at
their website. This is definitely not the right place.

> Also, last I checked the egcs compiler produced vtables and/or mangled names
>
> differently than VC++ (excluding decl type issues). Does anyone know if that
>
> is still true? i.e.: can I mix and match C++ classes w/ virtual functions
> defined while using dlls generated with egcs and MS VC++?

As you note, VC++ and G++ use different vtable layout, and the chances of
these two being compatible anytime in the near future is infinitesimally
small. You could ask Microsoft to provide a G++ compatible vtable layout.
They're supposed to be good at listening to customers ;-)

You cannot mix VC++ with GCC, Sorry.

The hope in the near term is to use COM objects and that should work. The
work on GCC to support COM objects from C++ is being worked on right now.
The other (non)solution is to use "C" linkage, but that pretty much defeats
the purpose of using C++.

Regards,
Mumit