Re: How to use g++ when paths contain spaces?

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> --- Pontus Lidman <pontus@mathcore.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I can't seem to get my command lines or makefiles right when the path to
> > my include directories contain spaces.
[snip]

> Character quoting using the DOS shell uses the ^ character.  If you execute
> your commands in the bash shell the you can use the \ character.
>
> I as a manager wouldn't ever allow a space in a directory or file name.  It
> causes too many headaches.  The FAQ also warns of the dangers of the space in
> file names.  I suggest that you modify the spaces to _ or -.  Or in the case of
> "include dir" change it to "include".

I totally agree about spaces in path names, but for a variety of reasons I
need to access files from another application that the user might
have installed under "Program Files".

I tried using ^ to escape spaces but it doesn't seem to work the way I
hoped it would:

int main(int argc,char **argv) {
  int i;
  for (i=0; i<argc; i++) printf("'%s'\n",argv[i]);
}

c:\temp>a.exe a^ b
a.exe a^ b
'a.exe'
'a'
'b'

c:\temp>a.exe "a b"
a.exe "a b"
'a.exe'
'a b'

I had hoped these examples would give the same output.

I also gathered that the mingw32 port of 'make' would call sh.exe (if
available) to execute its command lines, so I tried putting the cygwin
sh.exe in the mingw32 bin directory and used standard sh quoting, but I
still got the same behaviour as before.

I guess I lose?

Regards,

Pontus Lidman