Speaking of make...

Howdy --

We've got a great big build environment here, which we can
build via one perl script that does all the hard work for us.
Basically the script just sets a number of variables then
does a 'make'.

We use GNU Make version 3.76.1. (AFAIK, the latest and greatest).
We use GNU Emacs 20.3.6.1.1 ( but this problem has existed since
   long before, at least back to 19.34.x)
We use NT4SP4. MSVC6SP3. (same problems with other SPs)
We use set SHELL=%emacs_dir%\bin\cmdproxy.exe

Here's what's happening. When I build in an Emacs session,
somewhere in the middle of the make, my PATH environment var
is getting blown away.
This does NOT happen if I build in cmd.exe outside of emacs.
This does NOT happen in emacs (19-20) on Solaris.

It is a problem specific to building within emacs, on NT.
So, does anyone know or can anyone explain why my environment
variable PATH is getting fubar'd during a make-induced-build?
(Oddly enough, on Win32 there's $(PATH) and/or $(Path). Both
vars are getting set to nothing.)

(I'm curious, btw, if the conflict of the SHELL env var has
something to do with it. make.exe seems to be setting SHELL
to sh.exe all by itself [ I wrote a test makefile which merely
echo's $(SHELL), which was unset before, and after the makefile
ran.] )

Thanks in advance for some suggestions.

Robert Bresner          rbresner@olf.com
Open Link Financial    516-227-6600 x216
http://www.olf.com/    fax: 516-227-1799