Re: odd 'configure' problems

Phil Edwards <pedwards@jaj.com> writes:

> > A good way to think of this is in terms of cross-compiling
>
> Interesting.  I hadn't thought there was that much of a difference (after
> all, it's the same hardware, same software, same OS, etc).  I'll keep
> this in mind.

Actually, it's the OS that's quite different. Think of Cygwin as a
different OS, and it all makes sense.

> So, is it easier to "undo" the Mingw32 overwrites, or is it easier to
> just uninstall everything and reinstall Cygwin cleanly?

I don't know how and what you installed, so it's impossible to answer.
Normally, users simply install the full.exe, which installs the Cygwin
compilers and runtime environment. The runtime includes Mingw headers
and libraries and so on. Most developers update the compilers, but
that doesn't change the Mingw headers. Unless of course you installed
the Mingw runtime that I distribute with Mingw32 binaries (and those
have bug fixes that are not in the Cygwin release).

> I have to be able to hand instructions to a group of people that don't
> know or care about compilers, saying, "Install these programs, such as
> Cygwin full.exe and the Mingw32 package, and our utilities will then
> configure/build out-of-box for us."
>
> So while the tweaking and cross-compiling is fine for my own use (and
> is in fact a lot more interesting to me than my real job), I can't
> apply it as a final solution.  Nor can I even try it, since I don't
> have any other machines to /easily/ test on besides my own.

I understand. However, as long as you understand the limitations of
Cygwin -mno-cygwin mode, it's a very reasonable option.

> > Considering the number of messages I've responded to over the past year
> > or so (lots sent directly to me), I'm beginning to consider -mno-cygwin
> > evil ...
>
> I thought that this was going to become the default, so that the
> cygwin1.dll wouldn't be required?

I'm not privy to what Cygnus' plans are regarding this, so I can't comment.

btw, I was perhaps a bit too harsh on -mno-cygwin, and possibly because
I don't have a clean solution to the "picking up wrong header and lib"
problem. One way of course is to use a combination of -nostdinc and
-idirafter <...> when -mno-cygwin is specified in the specs file, and
that might just work very well.

Regards,
Mumit