RE: Tcl exposes problem with cygwin/echo?

I see that too.  If I go to a shell and invoke Cygwin echo directly, as

.\echo "This is a test."

it is handled properly. I can also get it to output the expected
value within a tcl shell by removing the " around "This is a test".

I see the same problem whether I run itcl_sh or itcl_wish, and whether
I do it from bash or another shell (4DOS, in my case).

The problem seems to happen in the handoff by exec from Tcl to
echo, where something is mishandling the double quote char.

Tcl 7.6 on my SCO Unix server handles it properly.

For that matter, I had several different Win32 ports of Tcl from
other sources, before I acquired the b20 Cygwin distribution.
Since I'd like to reduce confusion and have _one_ Tcl version on
my machine, I did a bit of testing.  I discovered that the Cygwin
ports did not properly run some of the standard tcl scripts from
the other distributions - I had to use the (apparently identical)
scripts provided with the Cygwin tools to get the expected behavior.
I haven't had the time to delve into it very deeply, so I have _no_
idea what is going on there thus far.