Re: xterms and vi

--- Geoff Hart <ghart@siemens-psc.com> wrote:
> >>I've got the X11R6.4 client libs downloaded and installed, and am trying
> >>run vi within an xterm.  The problem is that programs like vi (and ftp)
> >>don't do their I/O in the xterm, they do it in the DOS window associated
> >>with the xterm.
> >>
> >>I've set CYGWIN32 (and CYGWIN) to be 'binmode tty', and have an entry in
> my
> >>termcap file for xterm (although the symptom appears no matter what type
> of
> >>terminal I've set TERM to be).
>
> >It sounds like you've forgotten to use cygwin versions of ftp and vi.  It's
> >unlikely that windows-only versions of those programs will work with the
> >CYGWIN=tty scheme.
>
> Why is that unlikely?  I mean, can we make an "xterm" which acts both as a
> tty for Cygwin tools, *and* as a DOS console window for DOS applications?

Windows doesn't understand the UNIX terminal structures.

Try a recent snapshot of the cygwin1.dll.  SET CYGWIN=notty and see what
happens.  I think you'll be surprised.  The terminal emulation has been
rewritten.

Note: Make the appropriate backups before installing.  Strangeness has been
noted with interactive bash or sh starting another interactive bash or sh
process which Chris is pulling his hair out trying to fix.
===
Earnie Boyd <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>

Newbies, please visit
<http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html>

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)