Re: Make quoted strings problem running from cmd.exe...

Kevin Hill wrote:

> Dear reader,
>
> I have Cygwin b20.1 (including make version 3.75) and NT4.0 sp4. I am
> trying to use make from within the normal cmd.exe of NT, rather than
> from within any of the cygwin shells. The problem I have ONLY happens
> when I run from cmd.exe; it works find from within sh.

Don't blame it on make - it is cmd.exe doing. Once shell parses the
inputline, make does what it can. cmd.exe is too stupid to properly
interpret quotes "" like true shell. Write small code and test VC++ and
Cygwin gcc and see what actually is processed by cmd/shell and what
comes to your code. I suspect that cmd passes quotes, and nmake
compensates for it. It is consistent with DOS/NT/Win32 philosophy where
each program is responsible for interpreting *.*, and cmd.exe simply
passes them down.

--
Tadeusz
:: The public opinion should be alarmed by its own nonexistence