Re: Serial port programming

Chris,

The problem with fopen() is that it returns a FILE* where open() return
an int.  fopen() is way to advanced for use with serial port I/O as
the concept of a FILE is meaningless on a serial channel i.e. there is
no name or path etc. associated with a raw serial stream.  In
addition read() and write() uses an int file descriptor and not a FILE*.
  The open(), read(), and write() functions are the most low level
I/O handling ANSI C can handle.  The f*() functions are all built on
these functions.  If I use fopen() I have no way of controlling the
channel characteristics such as baud rate, bits, parity etc. This
I can do with the int returned from the open() function.
  If however you should have some running code (the code below _will_
run) using fopen() I'd sure like to see it for the educational value.

Thanks for your response.
  /Kim

PS:  Why are you posting everything twice ?

Chris Faylor wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 23, 1999 at 11:49:37AM +0200, Kim Poulsen wrote:
> >Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >> AFAIK this is a known problem in b20.1. Try to use a newer snapshot.
> >
> >I have the problem solved.  A a contribution to the mailing list I
> >submit the solution to the problem below.
>
> I'm not sure how this solves your problem.  You aren't using fopen.  That
> appears to be it.
>
> As is so often the case, with these kinds of problems, simply running the
> program using gdb would have probably provided worlds of information for
> debugging the problem.
>
> If the code sample below is getting you running, then fine.  It is not
> a generic solution for people who want to use stdio for serial I/O,
> however.  AFAIK, that does work.
>
> -chris
>
> >#include <fcntl.h>
> >#include <termios.h>
> >#include <stdio.h>
> >#include <unistd.h>
> >
> >#define BAUDRATE B9600
> >#define MODEMDEVICE "com2"
> >
> >main()
> >{
> >  int fd,c, n;
> >  char str[2];
> >  struct termios options;
> >
> >  fd = open(MODEMDEVICE, O_RDWR | O_NOCTTY );
> >  if (fd <0) {perror(MODEMDEVICE); exit(-1); }
> >
> >  options.c_cflag = BAUDRATE;
> >  options.c_cflag &= ~CSIZE; /* Mask the character size bits */
> >  options.c_cflag |= CS8;    /* Select 8 data bits */
> >
> >  /* Write something */
> >  n = write(fd, "UART is functional\n\r", 19);
> >  if (n < 0)
> >    puts("write() of 19 bytes failed!");
> >
> >  /* Make read() return immediately */
> >  fcntl(fd, F_SETFL, FNDELAY);
> >
> >  /* Read something until 'Q' recieved */
> >  while(str[0] != 'Q') {
> >    if(read(fd, str, 1) != -1) {
> >      printf("%s\n", str);
> >    }
> >  }
> >}
>
> --

 Kim Poulsen, B.Sc.E.E, System Developer HW
 Ericsson Telebit A/S     Tel: + 45 86 28 81 76
 Fabriksvej 11            Fax: + 45 86 28 81 86
 DK-8260 Viby J           E-mail: info@tbit.dk
 Denmark                  URL: http://www.tbit.dk/