Re: Re: Samba 2 running in NT box almost there !!

>Are we wanting to "dumb-down" NT file and printer sharing?!?! :)

>I really would like to know if this is a exersize or simply not well
thought out.

For the time being, it is an exercise, but once the goal is achieved
(the
"select" problem has already been selected) we can get:
 - a full NT file and printer sharing: Samba offers some functions than
NT
doesn't. Where NT wins is in maintenance ... but then one can be more
confortable with the text-based config files than with NT's GUIs.
 - a *legal* license setup for accessing NT as an application server.
The
current MS license ties you up by the networking software, forcing you
buy one CAL for every accessing client, be it Windows *or not* (for
example, use a Linux thin client to access NT, and you are required to
have
a Windows license for that client)
 - a cheaper Windows NT: NT workstation forbids more than 10 network
connections via the networking software license. With Samba, the
restriction is gone. The rest of the functionality is that of NT server.

Regards,
Ivan & Ray