Re: How to build static lib's

"Kevin Wright" <kwright@aspectdv.com> writes:
> Hello,
>
> I've been using cygwin for about a year and have
> always had some problems building static only
> versions of libraries such as glib and gtk+.
>
> Here's the configure options I've tried:
>
> ./configure --disable-shared --disable-shm --disable-nls --no-recursion
>
> However, I still end up building the .lo & subsequent .la files.
> I tried hacking the libtool files but that was useless because it gets
> created during the configure process. The problem is that certain lib's
> programs fail with messages such as:
>
> gdk_imlib ERROR: Cannot load image:
> /usr/local/share/pixmaps/gnome-question.png
> All fallbacks failed.
>
> WARNING: previous dlopen of
> E:\usr\local\lib\libimlib-png.so wasn't correctly performed

This problem is due to a bug in cygwin-b20, and is fixed in recent
snapshots. In most cases, it is quite harmless (unless you're creating
subprocesses using fork/exec, in which case odd things may happen).

> Is there a way to make these libs truly static?
>
> I'm using gcc 2.95 and cygwin b20.1. Perhaps this is fixed in a
> newer snapshot of the cygwin1.dll but I am waiting for the
> complete installation package to be released.

You need to ask the GTK folks about it. --disable-shared should have
created static libs only, but for some packages, that is not an option.
It's not possible to tell what the problem is from just what you've
posted, sorry.

Regards,
Mumit