Ouptput question

This may sound really stupid but I can't get the output from compiling
(warnings, erros, etc.) to be put into a text file.  I'm guessing it has
something to do with c++.exe passing execution to cc1plus.exe.

Anyway, I've tried the following to no avail:
  $ c++ -o foo.exe foo.cpp > out.txt
  $ c++ -o foo.exe foo.cpp >> out.txt

This sounds like a real beginner problem, but I still can't figure it out and
with STLs many templates getting expanded in a few compile-time errors, it's
not rare to have an error go over 4 screens of info.

Thanks,
Jason