Trouble with make on B2.0; can't open /C

Hello:

I've been struggling with Make for a while now, and
hoped someone on the list could help.

The error messages I keep getting are as follows:

When trying to build the elisp manual for EMacs:
C:\usr\home\emacs\addons\elisp-manual-20-2.5>make
if [ a != a ]; \
        then \
          ln -s index.perm index.texi; \
        else \
          ln -s index.unperm index.texi; \
        fi
/c: Can't open /c
MAKE.EXE: *** [index.texi] Error 2

When trying to build GNUMake (I thought
the problem might be the wrong brand of Make):
C:\usr\local\bin\make-3.78.1>make
/c: Can't open /c
Make.exe *** [config.h.in] Error 2

I had DJGPP installed along with Cygwin at first,
but removing it from the path makes no difference.

I have the system mounted per the installation directions

I'd appreciate any help; I'm completely baffled by this.

Thanks in advance,

-- Tom Hippensteele