FW: cygwin1 troubles

Hi,

If this isn't the right list for this, I apologize and would appreciate
someone pointing me to the right list.

I'm trying to use cygwin1.dll  with tape/tar support with a SCSI Quantum DLT
tape drive running under NT 4.0.

tar tvf /dev/rmt0

will list the contents of the tape, but when I try to extract or list
specific file names, as in

tar xvf /dev/rmt0 file1.bz2
tar tvf /dev/rmt0 file1.bz2

for files that are on the tape, the tape just reads to eot and then rewinds
and reads again and rewinds, repeating this forever and ever.

Why would I be able to list the contents but not list individual files or
extract any files at all?  The files are extremely large wav files.

output of mount is:

Device           Directory           Type        Flags
tape0            tape                native      text!=binary
Tape0            /tape0              native      text!=binary
tape0            /mnt/tape           native      text!=binary
\\.\tape0        /dev/rmt0           native      text=binary
d:               /d                  native      text!=binary
c:               /c                  native      text!=binary
C:               /                   native      text!=binary

Any ideas as to what I can do to get the files off this tape?

Thanks.

Vicki