Using ioctl(fd, FIONBIO, &on) for non-blocking socket and connect() returns with error "no more processes"

I wrote a simple TCP client and server to test some of the socket
capabilities in cygwin.  I setup cygwin yesterday pulling down the latest
"gz" files and using "setup.exe" to install.  I am using the gcc-2.95.2
compiler.

I found out the hard way that fcntl doesn't work for creating a non-blocking
socket, so I used ioctl(fd, FIONBIO, &on) and that seems to work.  However,
when I call connect(), I get an error back "no more processes".  If I
comment out the ioctl call, it works just fine.  Is this a known problem?
Are there any fixes or workarounds?

For grins, I'll attach the client and server samples.

Thanks,
Larry
 <<socket.tar.gz>>

socket.tar.gz