RE: For the adventurous: cygwin/latest/newsetup

I tried using setup.exe (not newsetup.exe) for the first time on Sat (setup
is dated 4/22 8:46 PM).  I had troublesome results.  Repeated installs had
the same results.  I searched the FAQ, docs, archives, etc. for some
answers, and didn't see anything.  Apologies if this is commonly answered
issue, I couldn't find anything on it (and my wife will tell you sometimes I
am blind when looking for things ;-).

I successfully have b20 installed and running for about the past month or
so.

Here are a few snippets from the setup.log file (I'll email it if someone
wants it; it is 648K.  Hopefully I have included enough here.):

C:\bin\vdir.exe
C:\usr\info\fileutils.info
C:\usr\info\fileutils.info-1
C:\usr\info\fileutils.info-2
C:\usr\info\fileutils.info-3
C:\usr\man\man1\chgrp.1
/cygnus/tar: usr/man/man1/chgrp.1: Could not create file: No such file or
directory
C:\usr\man\man1\chmod.1
/cygnus/tar: usr/man/man1/chmod.1: Could not create file: No such file or
directory

[snip]

C:\usr\man\man1\touch.1
/cygnus/tar: usr/man/man1/touch.1: Could not create file: No such file or
directory
/cygnus/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
Unable to reset protection on 'C:\usr\man\man1\chgrp.1' - No such file or
directory

Unable to reset protection on 'C:\usr\man\man1\chmod.1' - No such file or
directory

[snip]

C:\usr\include\g++-3\type_traits.h
/cygnus/tar: usr/include/g++-3/type_traits.h: Could not create file: No such
file or directory
C:\usr\include\g++-3\vector.h
/cygnus/tar: usr/include/g++-3/vector.h: Could not create file: No such file
or directory

[snip]

C:\lib\gcc-lib\i686-pc-cygwin\2.95.2\libg2c.a
/cygnus/tar: usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/2.95.2/libg2c.a: Could not
create file: No such file or directory
C:\lib\gcc-lib\i686-pc-cygwin\2.95.2\libobjc.a
/cygnus/tar: usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/2.95.2/libobjc.a: Could not
create file: No such file or directory

Messages like those recur.  Basically, many files install, and many do not.
The Cygwin 1.1.0 is on the Start menu, and, not surprisingly, an empty
MS-DOS Prompt window appears when run (no command line appears - just
hangs).  I think there must be a config error somewhere.  I am a bit
surprised as b20 runs fine.

I am clueless on this.  Can anyone point me to archive info, install
instructions for the new method of install, or let me know what I am
missing?

BTW - With b20, everything was nicely contained in one directory.  Is it
more common with the new setup to create one dir off of C: (or wherever) to
collect all of the directories together, or to have them all off of root?