cygwin programs won't end!

Below is a message I was about to send about cygwin programs not giving me
back a command prompt. I subsequently found that the programs DO end
eventually, but it takes several minutes (2-3) to get my command prompt
back. This seems a little excessive....

I remember some talk about network drives in the PATH possibly causing
trouble like this, but my path only contains directories on my local drive
C:. I AM on a network, though, and it strikes me I have had problems like
this before when there have been network problems. Do cygwin programs for
some reason do something network related after they've finished, but before
returning to the command prompt (the delay is AFTER the output of the
command seems to be complete).

Richard Stanton

----------------

Something strange has just happened on my machine (NT4/SP3, cygwin 20.1).

Any cygwin program I run won't give me back my command prompt. As an
example, at a DOS (4NT, but I've tried other shells and it makes no
difference), I run "diff":

[c:\scratch]diff
diff: missing operand
diff: Try `diff --help' for more information.

The window is now frozen and needs to be killed. C-c and BREAK do nothing,
either.

I first noticed this using make inside Emacs to compile C code, but it seems
to have affected all cygwin programs now.

Any idea what's going on? I assume rebooting will help, but since I have a
program running that has been going for 2 weeks now, and I don't feel like
restarting it, I'd rather avoid that if possible, though right now I can't
compile anything, which rather limits the usefulness of my machine...

Richard Stanton