From: "Bernard Dautrevaux" <Dautrevaux@microprocess.com>
To: "'David Bolen'" <db3l@fitlinxx.com>;
<cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com>
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2000 10:09 AM
Subject: RE: How is textmode/binmode determined in Cygwin 1.1.0
net releas efor pipes?

Of course if we can persuade Micro$oft to abandon CR/LF line
endings that
would be the perfect solution, but realism asks for trying to
live with them
:-) so I would propose, in the absence of an explicit setting,
that stdin be
read as TEXT and stdout written as BINARY. Maybe this could even
be an
option in CYGWIN: "text" meaning everyting is done in TEXT mode,
"binary"
everything in BINARY mode and "sane", or insane if you prefer
;-), used for
reading as TEXT and writing as BINARY.

Just my 2 cents,

Bernard