RE: Lack of Cygwin contributors? Was: How is textmode/binmode determined ...

> > Since you're reading the Cygwin mailing list, I assume that you
> > are using the product.  That means that you're benefitting from the
> > work that Cygnus/Red Hat has put into the product.  That's fine.
>
> Actually no, I am not using the product at all. I have tried a couple of
> times to get it working simply so that I could try building the
> XFree86/Cgywin stuff, but never managed to get a stable net
> release working
> for me. Since this project has now moved to using commercial compilers, I
> have no real immediate need for Cygwin anymore.

Kendall,
I had been watching this thread.

Let me comment only this part.  Cygwin/XFree compilation does require some
prior experience
with Cygwin environment.  It is a new environment for you therefore a
learning curve
is expected. I remember a couple of years ago when I first tried to compile
a simple project
with Cygwin, I was frustrated and was about to throw away Cygwin.  Cygwin
does help a lot.
I can take my favorite of UNIX applications and compile them under Cygwin.
In brief, I use it
as a tool for my productivity.

Speaking of other project, which is http://win32-xfree.sourceforge.net
of which you, John and I are founders.  Targets MingW32 for two reasons,
prviding MSVC
support because MSVC support in X11 was written for ancient compilers and is
completely broken,
second there is a big demand for X development tools, beside X-server, for
MingW32.

However please note Win32-xfree project would not be able to address some of
the issues
Cygwin/XFree does.  For example porting LBX to MSVC is a nightmare therefore
lbproxy cannot
be compiled using MSVC.  Now a days we live Internet with Firewalls, and
Firewalls drop
all the unkown packets.  To make Win32-xfree (MSVC/MingW32) it will be a big
challenge to port
LBX and compile lbproxy.

The purpose of Cygwin/XFree project is to provide X11 development tools to
Cygwin developers
and also an X-server.

Suhaib