Re: Lack of Cygwin contributors? Was: How is textmode/binmode determined ...

--- Kendall Bennett <KendallB@scitechsoft.com> wrote:
> Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > The FSF is an entity that will supply a legal arm *if* you assign
> > your copyright to the FSF.  The GPL is a statement of rights for
> > the use of a given piece of software, it does not require the
> > assignment of the copyright to the FSF.  The FSF nor the GPL take
> > away the right to earn money, charge fees or create commercial
> > licenses (if you retain your copyright).

Ahm... Did you miss the qualifier:  (if you retain your copyright).

> Sorry, but the FSF does *not* allow you to create commercial licenses
> for GPL software. Sure you can sell it, charge money etc but you
> can't sell commercial (ie: proprietry) licenses to any FSF controlled
> code.
>
> As DJ said the FSF itself *could* if desired sell commercial licenses
> to their code, but they don't and won't because it is against the
> founding principles of free software and the FSF. As I also said, if
> the FSF did do this, the entire free software community would be up
> in arms.

But, only if I give them the right to by assigning the copyright to them.  As
DJ also pointed out, take a look at paragraph 10.

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__