Re: New Cygwin: "commands commence before first target"

On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 02:30:43PM -0400, Bob Kline wrote:

>> > I don't know what the official answer is, but 3.79 won't build under
>> > win32 (at least for the NMakefile method) without a little hacking of
>> > the sources. Specifically:
>> > [snip]
>>
>> Make 3.79 built just fine for me OOTB.
>
>Well, perhaps ...
>
> 1. you got yours out of a different box (I got mine from ftp.gnu.org)
>
>    or
>
> 2. you used a different method for building (I followed the
>    instructions in README.W32)
>
>    or
>
> 3. your environment is configured differently than mine.
>
>I'm assuming you read my original message and are aware than I'm
>building using nmake with NMakefile (as described in README.W32) instead
>of make under bash.

If you are building make using Microsoft's Visual C++ tools you are not
building a cygwin version of make.  That means that this discussion is
pretty much off-topic for this mailing list.

I would appreciate it if you would take your difficulties to some other
newsgroup or mailing list since they are not appropriate here.

cgf