Re: New sed in latest

On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 05:07:32PM -0500, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
>At 03:52 PM 6/1/00, Pierre.Humblet@eurecom.fr wrote:
>>In http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/cygwin/2000-05/msg01160.html
>> >Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>>I have uploaded a new version of sed to pub/cygwin/latest/sed on
>>>sourceware.cygnus.com.  <snip>
>>>
>>>The new feature of that version is that it reads all files always in
>>>text mode so that files are correctly read when they have dos file
>>>endings in binary mounted directories as well.
>>
>>Thanks for the effort Corinna.  Although I understand the reason isn't
>>this pushing it too far?  When working on a binary mounted system I
>>would expect sed to work exactly as on Unix.  Although perhaps rare,
>>aren't there legitimate reasons to want to keep a \r at the end of a
>>line?  Sed is often used in fairly complicated fashions that may now be
>>broken.  Also, does your change apply to piped stdin?  I would withdraw
>>this comment if there was anything in the sed documentation to the
>>effect that \r\n is equivalent to \n.
>
>Another point is that binary files with CTRL-Z will also stop
>"processing" prematurely as a result.  I suppose this becomes the
>argument for having a "binary" (or conversely a "text") flag for sed
>(and some other tools)...

You have my guarantee that when the cygwin mailing list is filled with
the plaintive cries of people who are trying to process their binary
files but are finding that all of the \r\n's in the files are being
converted to \n and the processing stops at the first ^Z, we will
take corrective steps to deal with this.

Until then, making sed operate correctly on text files is the greatest
good for the greatest number of people.

cgf