disk/file Image Utility ?

 Hi,

 I was wondering if there is a 'disk imaging' type utility out there -
 I've been digging for some time with no positive result.  I'm new to
 Cygwin so there might be a std utility/package that could do the same
 thing?
 The idea is to make a complete backup of a system disk on another
 disk under Win-NT (possibly with compressed drives!!)  I've fiddled
 enough with NT to suspect that this would be extremely difficult :)

 Related - Is there a reviews type site for gnu/cygwin packages? I've seen
 the (v.long) packages listing linked from sourceware where you have to
 drill down (a long page) to the authors site to find out what the app
 actually does, which with slow connections is quite painful.

 TIA
 MV