Re: New GCC available for testing (TRY 4) -- fixes include path problem

Chris Faylor wrote:

> Thanks for trying this again.  I've changed the "idirafter"'s in the
> specs file to "isystem"'s and it now finds the stuff in the mingw
> directory first when -mno-cygwin is specified.
>
> As I mentioned in another thread, this does not eliminate the
> searching of the /usr/include directory because you need that to grab
> the windows-specific headers that live there.  The current cygwin
> layout mixes windows and "POSIX" header files in the same directory.
>
> This means that if a -mno-cygwin program says '#include
> <sys/termios.h>' it will find the cygwin version of termios.h.  This
> is as it has always been, AFAIK, and I'm not going to try to redesign
> things to correct this now.  If anyone wants strict separation, I
> suggest installing the mingw version of gcc in a separate directory.

Wouldn't it be better (and probably save you a lot of mailing list headaches
in the future) to just duplicate the Windows headers in the MinGW directory
and not search the POSIX directory?  Or better yet to have a separate
Windows header directory that is used by both?  I can easily see someone
accidentally including a POSIX header for a normal Windows program then
complaining to you that Cygwin is broken.

I just took another quick look at the way things are now and I noticed
another problem.  Some Windows headers are only in the POSIX include
directory (such as "windows.h"), but some are only in the MinGW directory
(such as "direct.h").  That means, with your latest snapshot, Cygwin
programs can't use "direct.h" if they need to!

> Anyway, I've uploaded a new tar ball with the above changes.  I've
> also included the specs file that it uses in this message.  It should
> be the only change to this distribution, if you want to try it.

I'll do a more thorough test with this tomorrow.

> cgf

Carl Thompson