Re: New GCC available for testing (TRY 4) -- fixes include path problem

Chris Faylor wrote:

> >I just took another quick look at the way things are now and I
> >noticed another problem.  Some Windows headers are only in the POSIX
> >include directory (such as "windows.h"), but some are only in the
> >MinGW directory (such as "direct.h").  That means, with your latest
> >snapshot, Cygwin programs can't use "direct.h" if they need to!
>
> Did you look at the contents of direct.h?  It's mingw-specific.  POSIX
> programs use dirent.h.

Actually, it's not MinGW specific, it's Windows / DOS specific.  A
"direct.h" header is also included with VC++ and Borland C++ so it is
standard on the Windows platform.  It defines such functions as
_getdrive().

If Cygwin programs should only use POSIX headers like "dirent.h" , then none
of the Windows headers should be in the base Cygwin include directory!

My point is that the current header handling and directory structure is
broken for both pure Windows programs and Cygwin programs that use Windows
facilities.  (Granted, it probably will work in most cases).  I can
understand that you don't want to change the directory structure yourself so
please ask Mumit when he returns.  I believe fixing this is the only way to
finally close this issue.  You have already done 90% of the work so it will
be easy for Mumit to finish.  Thank you for all the work you have put into
this.

> cgf

Thank you,
Carl Thompson