RE: OpenSSH 2.1 to Windows2000

> > I've installed inetutils v1.3.2-3 and mkpasswd/mkgroup to
> > create the correct environment. After hacking the registry
> > to get the mountpoints right (HKU/.Defaults/Cyg*/Cyg*/mount*
> > is completely foobar... it seems you must implicitly fix
>
> This will be fixed in the next cygwin release. No default
> root mount point will be generated anymore.

Glad to hear it. It currently seems best to duplicate the
systemwide mounts into the .DEFAULT mounts; otherwise,
inetd does not inherit the appropriate mountpoints and
can't spawn anything correctly. Rather painful, but it
seems to work quite well.

> > The biggest problem I have with the current configuration:
> > it seems that the *everyone* who telnets into the system
> > gets the H: (/cygdrive/h) drive mapping of the LAST person
> > to login to the system via RDP (but not via telnet..
>  very very odd).
>
> Sigh. It's not a problem of Cygwin but a general oddity in
> The SMB protocol (what's the current name of that?!?).
> Trying to explain that would let growing even more gray hair...

I'm quite familiar with SMB, as well as what Microsoft is
touting as CIFS (I've been using SAMBA forever, and have
extensive experience working with mixed system networks).

Either way, WinNT TSE and Windows2000 TS have never given
me a problem with drive mappings; even with dozens of users
logged in (each with their own filemappings to the same server).

This is *not* a shortcoming of the SMB protocol. It *may* be
a shortcoming in the way that Microsoft has documented it, and
it *may* be a shortcoming in the way you are using undocumented
or obfuscated API calls, but simply dismissing this problem
as an SMB artifact makes little sense.

Are you suggesting that 'SYSTEM' is mapping the user drives
before "becoming" the user? This is the only thing that
would immediately describe the symptoms I'm seeing.

> > I've also installed openssh 2.1.0p3 from Corinna's binary
>
> That's nice, but...

???

> > However, trying to run ssh in "multiuser mode" spawned via
> > inetd (added sshd -i to /etc/inetd.conf) results in refused
> > authentication (most likely due to mucked up home directories).
>
> did you read the README?

Yes, I've read the README. It just doesn't make sense.
Why should RSA authentication work in a single-user
configuration, but not in a multi-user one?

If I turn on PasswordAuthentication, ssh does work
correctly. That's not good for automation that
works far better with null-phrased RSA keys.

- Ian