RE: Why does cygwin 1.1.2 hide /usr/bin?

Well, I'm untarring new files into existing, but empty directories, both /usr/bin and /usr/lib are empty in the current cygwin 1.1.2
setup as they are "masked" by /bin and /lib.

> Does the directory structure of the tar files overlay
> correctly into the cygnus root directory?
> or do we have to do some manual moving and
> copying of files to the correct location?

To get rpm to work, I simply moved the files from /usr/bin to /bin.  I also moved the files in /usr/lib to /lib.

Then all I had to do was rpm --initdb, and all is well.

> Just curious, in case I decide to try this someday.

I hope that helps.  Thanks Earnie and Peter, for all your help!

-Ross