Tar.exe doing nothing

When I use the tar.exe file to try and extract something, it just sits there, like
it's a word processor... it lets me type on the console, but it doesn't react on
any input, like when you start sort.exe in DOS... except that when I start a new
line, it doesn't move the cursor all the way to the left, it just sits where I
left off...

I can use "tar --help", but whenever I type "tar -x anyfile.tar", it shows this
weird behavior.
I'm using the latest net release, updated to 1.1.2, and the tar package is the
official Cygwin one I got when I first installed it. My OS is Win2k, and cygcheck
only finds that one file. I tried to reinstall the tar package from the original
installation dir manually (thank god I still have Winzip), but that changes
nothing.

Any ideas on this?