Re: Cygipc, Postgresql, etc ...

Runtime:
There are some difficulties with cygipc's socket files (created in /tmp,
usually) and permissions. I don't remember all the details, but I
*think* it may have something to do with the presence (or absence) of
NTSEC/NONTSEC in your CYGWIN variable. Experiment, debug -- and let me
(and the list) know what you find...

Compiling:
I haven't tried to compile this with gcc-2.95.2-2 (or 2.95.2-1), nor
with a binutils newer than 19990818-2, or cygwin dll newer than 1.1.0.
Any of these new releases may have uncovered bugs in the cygipc code, or
the cygipc code may be exposing bugs in those tools. Please feel free to
submit patches to any/all of the above.

I didn't write cygipc -- since the original servers were flaky, and
often down for months at a time, I mirrored them at cygutils. People
sent me patches, so for lack of any better idea, I officially forked the
code from the capgemini and nasa versions and updated the distribution
at cygutils. But I really have never looked deeply at the code, so I
can't provide any special insight as to why it might be failing for you.

If you're still at a loss, you can try contacting the original authors:

Original Servers:
http://www.multione.capgemini.fr/tools/pack_ipc/
http://dods.jpl.nasa.gov/WinPort/portEnvSetup.html
ftp://podaac.jpl.nasa.gov/pub/users/rmorris/DodsWin32Port/cygwinB20IPC.tar.gz

Sorry I can't be more help than that.

--Chuck