RE: July 17th snapshot

> On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 05:01:44PM -0700, Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:
> >Well, XFree seems to be more stable with July 17th
> >snapshot, is not time to have a Cygwin 1.1.3 ? ;-)
>
> Btw, one of the changes that I made to cygwin in the 7/17 snapshot was
> to detect when a "system call" like open(), stat(), chmod(), etc.  is
> passed an invalid pointer and set the EFAULT errno rather than SEGVing
> within cygwin itself.
>
> I noticed that that seemed to make XFree work better but that is a sign
> that some functions are being passed bogus stuff.

Yes that is right.  It was intentional but would change in the future.
XFree86 depends too much on an OS kernel features and low level
hardware.  This was the reason, most of the developers had thought
that XFree86 cannot work on Windows because it would violate Win32
hardware ownerships.  I did make some functions pass bogus stuff, but
it will change in future as we make more progress.  One of the feature
was OpenGL GLX.  I was under the impression OpenGL GLX with DirectX
would not work on Windows, therefore I was using stubs for OpenGL GLX.
Now it is fixed and works.  I will take fix other functions passing bogus
stuff
one by one.

>In particular, I
> noticed this with chown().

chown() and chroot() are needed for Xfree.  Chroot() for now in our
X-servers is a stub.  On startup X complains that /tmp/.X11-0 should be
owned
by root, but still works, on UNIX if /tmp/.X11-0 is not owned by root, it
quits.

thanks
Suhaib