Re: Extending cygwin's process table (progress report)

On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 01:09:58PM +0000, Joerg Schaible wrote:

>Hi Chris,
>
>>I do use windows pids wherever possible but execed processes still have
>>their normal split personality.  If a process is execed, as far as
>>cygwin is concerned, it maintains the same "Windows PID" throughout its
>>lifetime.  As far as Windows is concerned, there are, unfortunately,
>>still multiple pids to contend with.
>
>you may have a look at following resource.  May be you can solve the
>PID problem for execed processes:
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/periodic/period98/win320698.htm

Thanks for the pointer but I don't understand why you think this solves
the problem.  I am actually already using the techniques mentioned here
but, regardless, cygwin has never had any problems maintaining a
parent/child pid relationship.  My changes don't affect cygwin's
existing mechanism at all.

If there was some method for ensuring that a new process had the same
PID as a previous process, that would be great.  This article does not
seem to document anything like that.

cgf