Symbolic links

Hello

Environment: cygwin 1.1.2 on NT 4.0

I created a symbolic link to a file (ln -s /someDir/someFile someFile).
Now I would like to open this file using for example notepad
(notepad someFile). Instead of opening the file someFile, the file
containing the link description is displayed in notepad. Is this the
expected behaviour? Can this be changed by some settings?

A similar behaviour I get when trying to open a file on a mounted
directory. For example trying to open the file /someFile
(notepad /someFile), where / is mounted to c:\cygnus. This gives the
error: 'Cannot open the /someFile file'.

Thanks for your help.

Severin Mathis