Cmd prompt functions missing

I've found the Cygwin bash shell to be a perfect alternative to cmd.exe. However,
there are some functions missing, or I can't find them:

start -- launch GUI applications. The argument can be a program, a web site, an
ftp, a document... anything. I REALLY miss this command.

mode -- I miss the "mode con rate=100" command, which I still have to issue in a
normal cmd prompt. Also, of course, the functions to set the size of the console.

cls -- the clear.exe program provided does not clear the off-screen buffer in
NT/2k, and it does not scroll back to the top of that buffer.

runas -- a modification of this to run programs on the same console, without
opening a new window, would be nice... if it's possible.

I know I could write some of these commands myself, but if they're already hidden
in there somewhere, I'd like to know. Also, how do you other people live without a
command like 'start'?