From: cygwin-owner@sources.redhat.com
[mailto:cygwin-owner@sources.redhat.com]On Behalf Of David Bolen
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2000 12:08 PM
To: Cygwin list
Subject: RE: Cmd prompt functions missing

Jonas Jensen [bones0_list@hotmail.com] writes:

> I've found the Cygwin bash shell to be a perfect alternative to
> cmd.exe. However, there are some functions missing, or I can't find
> them:

Most of these commands are just internal commands from 'cmd'
(start/cls) or external programs in your Windows directory (mode).
I'm not personally familiar with 'runas'.

For me, I just define a general purpose alias to give a command to the
original command interpreter, and a few special aliases for commands I
really like, e.g.:

    #
    # Some aliases that want to use the original command processor
    #
    alias cmd='cmd /c'
    alias cls='cmd cls'
    alias dir='cmd dir'
    alias copy='cmd copy'
    alias del='cmd del'

This way you can say "cmd xxxx" for any random command processor
command.  Of course, you could always just type "cmd /c" manually, but
I'm for saving three keystrokes.

Oh, and you should be able to run mode directly if you type it as
"mode.com" (just as you need the .bat extension for batch files).  But
if you do "cmd mode" it'll work too since cmd will search for .com
files.

The others I have because I use them more frequently (e.g.,
dir can be much faster than ls on a remote system, copy/del is faster
to floppy drives than cp, and I just like cls :-)

-- David

 \               David Bolen            \   E-mail: db3l@fitlinxx.com  /