Re: Running from CDROM on Win95

> Can Cygwin 1.x be run from a CDROM? I don't mean the distribution
> cdrom -- I would be burning my own. Obviously /tmp would have to
> mounted to something writable, but could /usr, /lib and /etc be on
> a CD? Where's the mount-table stored?

The mount table is in the registry.  Otherwise, as long as /tmp (and
maybe /usr/tmp and/or /var/tmp) is mounted to a writable hard drive,
you should be able to run cygwin off a cd-rom.  The only thing that
might break is Insight, as the tcl DLLs don't understand the mount
table.  We've always had that problem, but using a cd-rom just makes
the obvious solution less practical.

Note that you won't be able to change your passwd file or run setup
any more, as those are in /etc ;-)