Re: gdbm & cvs packages ready for official inclusion?

Jason Tishler wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 12:26:45AM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
> > I've put a new snapshot up at cygutils if you want to try it. I have no
> > reason to think this is any better than the last one, except that DJ,
> > Chris, and Corinna have checked in a few patches between 20000811 and
> > 20000813. If you're busy, that's okay -- no problem.
>
> If you don't mind, I'd rather wait until 1.1.5 or at least until Chris
> says that the DLL has settled down enough.

That's fine for your testing, to see if your specific difficulty has
been resolved. However, all of the problems discussed so far on this
list are either (a) unconfirmed, (b) due to problems *outside* gdbm/cvs,
or (c) fixed in the cygwin snapshots (which are still, unfortunately, a
bit unstable due to ongoing changes in other areas). Also, most of the
observed problems seem only to affect a few users; by and large gdbm &
cvs seem to be okay. So, I've just uploaded two new packages to

ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/cygwin/private/cygwin-extras-392/

gdbm-1.8.0-2.tar.gz
cvs-1.10.8-2.tar.gz

gdbm(v. 2) has a few minor packaging fixes in the -src- tarball; cvs(v.
2) has a few corrections/additions to the README, which summarize some
of the discussion on this list. Hopefully, these packages will be moved
into cygwin/contrib in the very near future.

--Chuck

P.S. I will not be posting on the cygwin list for a while. It appears
that some luser @Home customer has set up his machine as an open relay
which routes through the official @Home mailserver for my region. So,
the mailserver I have to use is now blocked by ORBS. I've reported the
problem, but the last time this happened it took @Home about four months
to fix their own server; I can only imagine how long it'll take them to
fix the problem when it's a customer's machine and not their own. I have
some alternate servers I can use, but it's very difficult -- and often
not worth the effort for routine mailing list communication.