Re: Path in the wrong order

At 12:25 PM 8/21/2000, Jonas Jensen wrote:
>than
> > >/sys,

> > >My /usr/bin is the same thing as /bin, just like setup installs it.
>/usr/bin
> > >is in the path with higher priority that /sys...
> >
> > I suggest taking /sys out of your path and see if it makes a difference.
> > agree with you that the description you've given should make it find the
> > Cygwin version of find before the NT but maybe there's more going on here
> > than you realize.  Removing /sys will help you troubleshoot that.
>
>Well, I can't really take out /sys, because that's my system32 folder, and I
>doubt that Windows would boot if I did that. I umounted /sys and took ~/bin
>out of my path, nothing's changed.

First, is this a problem with bash or with the DOS prompt.  If its bash, you
should not be afraid to define a path in /etc/profile or wherever that is
strictly for use with bash and friends and doesn't have pointers to any other
utilities that might conflict with Cygwin.  If the issue is that you're using
the DOS prompt, then your comments make some sense but I fail to see how the
path could change to the UNIXy paths if you're in a DOS prompt.

>Here's another funny thing: "command -V" in Bash returns the NT find, while
>cygcheck finds the right one. Aren't they supposed to find the same program,
>following PATH? Here's what I'm talking about, along with some other output
>to assist:
>
>bono@BOB ~
>$ command -V find.exe
>find.exe is /c/WINNT/system32/find.exe
>
>bono@BOB ~
>$ cygcheck find.exe
>Found: d:\cygwin\bin\find.exe
>d:\cygwin\bin\find.exe
>   d:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
>     C:\WINNT\System32\KERNEL32.dll
>       C:\WINNT\System32\NTDLL.DLL
>
>Use -h to see help about each section
>
>bono@BOB ~
>$ echo $PATH
>/usr/local/bin:/bin:/c/WINNT/system32:/c/WINNT:/c/WINNT/system32/WBEM:/prog/
>Support Tools/:/prog/Resource Kit/:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/prog/Microsoft
>Visual Studio/Common/Tools/WinNT:/prog/Microsoft Visual
>Studio/Common/MSDev98/Bin:/prog/Microsoft Visual
>Studio/Common/Tools:/prog/Microsoft Visual Studio/VC98/bin
>
>bono@BOB /bin
>$ ls -l |grep find.exe
>-rwxr-xr-x   1 bono     None        53760 Jan 18  2000 find.exe

If you insist on putting WINNT and friends in your path, list them last!
This is clearly a configuration issue so you're going to need to play
around with things to get them how you want them.  If you just want
something that works, follow the recommendations and set up your path for
bash appropriately.