Re: dd under CygWin

DGP85 wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a old hard disk and I need to clean it totally.
> I need to use the linux command
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdb
> but I can't start linux.
> How I can use dd in CygWin.

95/98: No chance since no raw device support.

NT/W2K:

Figure out which drive number the drive has (NT Disk Manager).
Let's presume it's 2:

$ mount -f -b //./physicaldrive2 /dev/xyz
$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/xyz

Note that "xyz" is a placeholder. Name the drive as you want,
for example "/dev/hdb" or "/dev/garfield"

If you want to access a single partition as raw device, you only
have to know the drive letter, let's presume G:

$ mount -f -b //./G: /dev/earthquake

Note the "//./" prefix (slash slash dot slash) which is the common
prefix for devices in NT/W2K except for old DOS device names ("COMx",
"CON", "AUX", "PRN").

Hope, that helps,
Corinna

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com