From: Jean-Paul Le Fevre [mailto:J-P.LeFevre@cea.fr]
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2000 4:53 AM
To: cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: Why not mount / at C: ?

It's likely a FAQ, but since I still don't understand :
Why is it discouraged to mount '/' at 'C:' ?
The installer gives advice not to mount / at this natural location,
while the FAQ *URGE* not to do so but without explanations.

I've been using cygwin for years on NT, 98, 2K with '/' being 'C:' without
any problem. My Windows configuration is very similar to my Linux,
Solaris, Unix config and I feel very confortable : I've almost nothing
to change in my environment (variables, emacs, cvs, ssh, makefiles, ...)
when I have to move from Unix to Windows.

At the beginning of August, I've installed a new release of Cygwin
accepting the default mount : '/' on 'c:/cygwin'. As a result my environment
is completely messed up ! I've to edit a lot of files to fix up the
settings, being not sure when to change '/' in '\\', '/' in 'C:/cywin' or
'//C/cywin', or 'C:\\cywin' or ....

So, why is it considered as a bad choice to have '/' at 'C:' ?