Re: Why not mount / at C: ?

On Thursday 24 Aug 00, Jean-Paul Le Fevre writes:

> Could you confirm that it is just a simple "recommendation" ?
>
> The FAQ states :
> "You are strongly urged not to choose something like 'C:\'."

As I recall, there had been genuine bugs with certain things not
working when the Cygwin root was C:\.  I believe those are now fixed,
so perhaps we don't need to word it so strongly.

There is a danger that some other "Unix-like" application or package
would also use C:\bin (and so forth), which could mess up your Cygwin
installation if you didn't take precautions against it.  Maybe nothing
else uses C:\bin,lib,etc,... now, but who knows what you might install
someday?  It seems like a sensible precaution to segregate your Cygwin
installation from the rest of the system disk.

Really, we were trying to protect ourselves from questions on the list
that might arise out of you doing it that way.  (So instead, we spend
our time explaining why we urge you not to install in C:\ ...)

I'll try to add something to the FAQ about this, so people know what
the issues are and can make their own decisions appropriately.

(So if I got it wrong, someone please correct me!)

Regards,
David (Cygwin FAQ maintainer)