Re: DLL naming conventions

On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 11:09:23AM -0400, Charles S. Wilson wrote:
>Maybe the problem isn't solved by AppPath, after all.

From my reading of DejaNews and MSDN, I don't think that AppPath is a
solution at all.

It only seems to be invoked when you run something by double clicking on
it.  There were complaints that programs invoked from the command prompt
did not recognize it.

There is also the burden of installing this in the registry.  I don't
think that is solvable.  Not every cygwin package is going to have an
installer.

Of course, if we ever write our "registry as a file system" module for
cygwin, you could have a tar file which extracted executables to /bin
and registry information to /registry/LocalMachine/Software/...

I've spent a couple of hours rereading my various Windows Internals
books.  I had this (futile?) dream that binutils could somehow be
modified to allow cygwin to "do the right thing" as far as shared
libraries were concerned.

I don't see how that is possible though without essentially inventing
our own shared libraries.

The delayed loading stuff that is in VC 6 was sort of interesting.  I
actually use a technique very similar to VC's delayed loading in cygwin.
I thought briefly that this might be a solution but delayed loading
doesn't work with data elements, so that makes it unusable for generic
shared library support.

cgf