Re: tape drive on nt

Brian Perkins wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I once used the MKS utilities to access my Exabyte 8505XL (but, the demo period expired ;)
>
> So, has anyone got any of the CygWin magnetic tape utilities to work on NT?
> I get these same results from a cmd or bash shell...
>
> $ mt -V
> mt V1.9.1, Corinna Vinschen, Jul 23 2000
>
> $ mt offline
> mt: '(null)' is no tape device.
> [...]
>
> (Btw, tar and dd do not work either!)

No, of course not.

You'll have to mount the tape. One mount point for the rewind
device and (if you need that) one for the norewind device. The
convention is that the mount point has to begin with "/dev"
and the norewind device has to begin with "n". For example:

	mount -f -b //./tape0 /dev/garfield
	mount -f -b //./tape0 /dev/ngarfield

or, if you prefer more serious names:

	mount -f -b //./tape0 /dev/rmt0
	mount -f -b //./tape0 /dev/nrmt0

Then you _must_ use the /dev/whatever in all tape related Cygwin
commands. Otherwise Cygwin doesn't know how to handle the devices.

Corinna

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.
mailto:vinschen@cygnus.com